Steady, Go... To have a successful and safe fireworks display, you should start planning at least 3 months beforehand. Follow our handy checklist to see what you should be doing when!
Three months to go!
Start planning now! At this stage have you...
- Decided what kind of display you want and how many people you expect to attend
- Agreed on a budget – one for the fireworks and another for any additional activities
- Decided what other events you want to have at the display and applied for the necessary licences.
- Appointed your firing team
- Identified a site taking into consideration how much space you will need
- Obtained adequate insurance
- Enlisted the help of volunteers
- Arranged first aid cover?
Two months to go!
- Apply for a licence – your application could take up to 6 weeks, so apply for it now to make sure you get it in enough time *Applies to Northern Ireland only
- Plan the firing script for the display
- Decide what fireworks you will need to buy
- Gather together the safety equipment you will need
- Book specialist equipment.
Three weeks to go
- Time to buy your fireworks – go to a licensed supplier
- Only buy fireworks that conform to BS 7114:1988
- If your supplier does not have what you need, order them now
- Read the instructions carefully
- Store the fireworks in a dry, secure place
- Check that you have all the necessary entertainment licences
- Practice the firing schedule.
Two weeks to go
- Brief your volunteers on the schedule
- Assign each person with his or her own job
- Plan the site layout
- Contact the relevant people so they are aware of your display
- Start publicising your event – go to the local media, put up posters, hand out flyers, anything to spark interest!
One week to go
- Have a dummy run and make sure all your volunteers know what their jobs are
- Check the fireworks for damage again - if any are damaged, dispose of them safely
- Confirm the entertainment
- Work out the safety plans in the event of an emergency
- Practice the firing schedule again.
The day before
Now the hard work starts!
- Set up the site
- Cordon off the different areas in preparation for tomorrow
- Have a final meeting to brief the volunteers one more time
- Practice the firing schedule one last time.
On the day
- Bring your licence with you *Applies to Northern Ireland only
- Set up the fireworks in daylight – put the last firework in place about 30 minutes beforehand if possible and cover them with plastic bags to keep dry
- Remember you safety equipment and clothing
- Keep spectators away from the site and guard the fireworks when in place
- After the display pick up the spent fireworks
- Douse the duds in water
- Pack away all the paraphernalia
- Come back the next day to clear the site
...Relax – it’s finally over!
All this information can be found within the website.
The checklist is available above in PDF format. To view and print this you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your machine. This is freely available to download, click the Get Acrobat icon and follow the online instructions.